As a high school student, I was encouraged to formulate
some guiding life principles. After many hours of thought and prayer, I came up with these. They have remained
a reference point to me to this day.
LIFE GOALS AND PRINCIPLES
IN RELATIONSHIP TO GOD
1. I will cultivate
my relationship with God at all costs. My mission in life is to know God, be sensitive to His will and
the Holy Spirit’s direction.
2. I will faithfully
spend time in God’s Word and prayer.
3. I will be a student
of God’s Word, follow and obey it, and to strive to see life from God’s point of view.
4. I will approach the Bible without preconceived notions.
5. I pupose to identify
with Jesus Christ at any opportunity both verbally and in my actions.
6. I will accept myself as God made.
I will strive to correct areas which need improvement and view unchangeable physical "flaws" as reminders that I
belong to God.
IN RELATIONSHIP TO MY FAMILY
1. I will work to
make my marriage fantastic.
2. I will pray everyday with and
for my family.
3. I will do my best to be a helpful,
loving father, and spiritual example, to my children.
I will avoid actions and words that might embarrass my wife or children and I will be courteous and thoughtful to them.
5. To the best of my ability, I will manage and invest the money God provides in order to be a security
for my family and a significant help to my children.
RELATIONSHIP TO THE MINISTRY
1. I will dedicate
my life to reach the lost, equip believers, and lovingly shepherd those to whom God calls me to minister.
2. I will have a grateful, servant’s spirit in ministering and will strive to be effective
in ministry through influence, not solely through a position.
I will weekly seek ways to improve my preaching.
4. I commit myself to excellence in the ministry.
RELATIONSHIP TO OTHERS
1. I will work to
keep my conscience clear before God and others. I will resolve conflicts quickly asking forgiveness when
needed, and offering forgiveness quickly to others.
I will quickly admit when I have made mistakes and will take measures to correct them.
3. I will do my best to never be a “stumbling block” to others.
4. I will guard against
legalism and legalistic attitudes.
5. I will be honest in all business transactions.
6. I will obey the laws
of the land to the best of my knowledge and ability.